Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Squished the Caterpillar Mommy!

During our house inspection last week, I found a fuzzy little caterpillar on my pant leg. We put him outside and I gave Lucas a chance to check him out. After about a minute, Lucas came running over saying, "I squished the caterpillar Mommy!" He was very proud. I explained to him that the caterpillar was now sad and unable to turn into a beautiful butterfly. Usually when I tell Lucas something gets sad he turns very concerned and wants to talk about why something is sad. This time he just looked at me and said, "I like to squish caterpillars" and walked off.

A few hours later while we were hiking he asked me, "Why do I like to squish caterpillars?" I told him I didn't know but it made the caterpillar sad. I could tell he was still thinking about the whole thing. Then he asked, "How can the caterpillar be sad if I squished him?" I said, "Well, he can't really be sad anymore because he's dead and no longer able to move around or be happy or sad." He seemed to be very content that the caterpillar wasn't sad, he was just dead. To Lucas, this was a happy ending...no sadness. So, we went on hiking and tossing rocks into the river with no more mention of the caterpillar.

No comments:

Above Photo: Downtown Portland Oregon Bike Ride

The Danger Zone needed a little update to include not only LUCAS DANGER, but also his little brother...AXEL ADVENTURE!

Welcome to our family blog now known as:


DANGER and ADVENTURE Around Every Corner!!

Enjoy!!