Wednesday, September 28, 2011

San Francisco and beyond.

Back in June, Daddy received a Low Fare notice from Travelocity to numerous cities around the country. San Francisco jumped out at us because it's a fun town and a halfway close to Yosemite Nat'l Park. What better than a trip out West before heading to Florida?! It seemed like a perfect idea until two weeks ago when we realized we were leaving for California in one week, the week before the movers were scheduled to be at our house to pack us up for Florida. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?!?

Once we grasped the idea that we could run away from all the craziness associated with finishing a PhD and moving, we were excited. We packed up last minute and hopped on the plan to San Francisco!
After two airplane rides and a full day of flying, we headed for downtown San Francisco. The 3 hour time change made our day extra long. We hit Lombard Street (Crookedest Street in the World?)...

Lombard Street

Often billed as the "crookedest street," San Francisco's Lombard Street is, in fact, neither the crookedest nor the steepest street in the city, let alone the world. Oddly, that fact doesn't deter the hordes of tourists who come every year to see this famous street, built with eight switchbacks on a 40-degree slope.

The main attraction of Lombard Street is watching people drive down the crooked, one-block section, or driving down it yourself. On a busy day, a seemingly-endless stream of automobiles and scooters buzz down, their passengers squealing in mock fear at every turn. If you're on foot, you can walk down (or up) the sidewalks and watch the show.

We were super excited!
The boys...they just thought we were weird.
The trolleys made Axel's day.
This was a view I have a vivid childhood memory of. I remember these hills and thinking I was going straight in the water. Axel was not impressed when I asked if Daddy should take us swimming in the car. I have to be careful with my sarcasm these days, poor Axel takes me very seriously.
Fisherman's Wharf! Oh the crab...the fresh crab and fish and bread!
This is my boy, eating a hotdog of all things right there at the Crab Station. I know this makes Grandpa J's heart hurt. Sorry Dad! We tried to get him to try crab and he wanted nothing of it. On the flip side, hotdogs are cheap compared to the delicious, freshly caught crab.
Here is a wonderful example of what my life is like every time I try to get one of the "perfectly cute brothers" photo! I usually take a bunch to get one halfway decent one. This time, I decided to keep them all to show you what I go through and of course, to remember these little things about our life with small boys. :)
I think Lucas is trying to be the Emperor character from Star Wars.


I was just about to give up...
Then, they surprised me with this shot. I'll take it! :)
The pigeons were huge highlight for some reason. Daddy & Mommy thought they were annoying buy the boys LOVED THEM.
Alcatraz was also a big hit.Here's Lucas' best Bad Guy face!
A big cruise ship with a seagull in the view.
Yummy bakery, check out this loaf of bread.
Boudin Bakery has the most delicious sour dough bread ever.
After the big city, we headed to Yosemite National Park but those photos will have to wait! We are moving TOMORROW to Florida!!! Yahooo!!!

No comments:

Above Photo: Downtown Portland Oregon Bike Ride

The Danger Zone needed a little update to include not only LUCAS DANGER, but also his little brother...AXEL ADVENTURE!

Welcome to our family blog now known as:


DANGER and ADVENTURE Around Every Corner!!

Enjoy!!