Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our House

Here's a photo of our new house. I don't dare take any photos of the inside yet. :) You can almost see the humidity in the air and look at that beautiful grass! I haven't had to touch it with a sprinkler. Such a difference from Colorado's dry climate.


Yesterday, we woke up to rain so it was a perfect day to do a little baking. Besides, I had to come up with something for my cooking club meeting that night. Lucas was very excited to use the apple peeler the other day so that got us all warmed up to baking Fall treats!

He thought the apple peel "snakes" were hilarious!

We decided to make some pumpkin pies and what better time to try a new recipe than for a cooking club. Everyone would understand if it turned out horrible, or would they?! We went for it...

No photos of the mixing process. Too much risk of pumpkin pie camera splatters or maybe I just forgot!

As you can see, Lucas was a big helper and made his very own dough. This was great because I didn't have to worry about my batch. He was very intense...
He mixed and mixed and finally it was time for the fun part...using Mommy's rolling pin! Oh, check out that hair cut! Yep, mommy bought some clippers the other day and still needs some more practice. Overall, it worked out but barely!

Yummy! Ooops...forgot to take finished photos but they were delicious!
The winner was "Mom's Pumpkin Pie" a recipe I found on Google! The pie filling was more wet than normal but I think it was due to the extra eggs. It took a long time to set up (the entire cooling process) but turned out with a wonderful flavor and texture. I think it even tasted better today after a night in the fridge.

Moms Pumpkin Pie

Makes: One BIG 9 inch pie...recommend using a little bigger pie dish like 10 or 10.5 inch.

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie...I used Betty Crocker Pie Crust Recipe
3 eggs
1 egg yolk

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

2 cups pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

In a large bowl, combine eggs, egg yolk, white sugar and brown sugar. Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Gradually stir in milk and cream. Stir in pumpkin. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake for ten minutes in preheated oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes, or until filling is set...until knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean.

3 comments:

Phil and Dana said...

Ok, your house looks awesome! Yay.
I also want to try your pumpkin pie recipe. Looks like you guys had a fun day of baking!

Amy said...

Your house looks beautiful! So glad you're finally in it and getting settled. All that baking looks fun. . . I made some pumpkin bread last night. Nothing like fall sweet treats!

Janelle Anderson said...

I love pumpkin everything. Amy - be sure to post your bread recipe. I had a wonderful one but loaned it to a friend and don't have it will me anymore.

I wish the inside of my house was all done like the outside...it will come!

Thanks.

Above Photo: Downtown Portland Oregon Bike Ride

The Danger Zone needed a little update to include not only LUCAS DANGER, but also his little brother...AXEL ADVENTURE!

Welcome to our family blog now known as:


DANGER and ADVENTURE Around Every Corner!!

Enjoy!!